Employee’s name: Sarah Khetty
Position/Job title: Brand Manager
Employment start date: October 2016
Number of years of experience working in the food and beverage processing industry: 10 years
1. What’s the best thing about your job?
Translating the needs of consumers into actual products and services. I love the idea of making someone’s life easier or more enjoyable or better by making them aware of or creating a solution for them as a marketer.
2. Describe your job in 3 words.
3. Why did you choose to work in the food and beverage industry?
1. Everyone has to eat, so from a long-term relevance perspective, this is the place to be.
2. I grew up with a family business in food, so I think I was meant to work in it. My sister ended up in food too! It must be in our genetics.
3. I love food, but it doesn’t always love me back. As we think about the challenges facing us around food, from carbon footprints to obesity, the food industry has lots of work to do to continue to make positive changes. I want to be a part of that!
4. What advice do you have for someone who is applying to jobs right now?
Pick your industry, don’t let your industry pick you. I got lucky because I ended up really enjoying the food industry. I know quite a few people who have ended up in a particular industry simply because it was the first job offer they got, and have had a hard time shifting into another space.
5. What’s your favourite made-in-Ontario food or beverage?
I actually have a real soft spot for Ontario grown produce – with my favourites being sweet corn and peaches. 🌽 🍑